Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Book Club?

I remember reading my first romance novel. Stolen (borrowed) from the overcrowded bookshelving in the office at my parents' house, the yellow front cover displayed two cherubic angels pulling back lace curtains to reveal a Victorian style bassinet and proclaimed the title in huge red lettering, Nobody's Baby But Mine.

I don't remember much about the book really except that it was about a really smart woman who wants to have a baby with someone dumb because she doesn't want her child to be ostrasized by society for being a braniac. Then it turns out that the not-so-smart professional quarterback whose child she carried was actually *gasp* SUMMA CUM LAUDE at his very prestigious, ivy league school. And imagine her surprise! But then they forgive each other, get married, and live happily ever after (with a few super steamy sex scenes, of course.)

And I don't know how many Jude Deveraux novels I read after that. There is one I remember specifically for some reason called Twin of Ice. His name is Kane Taggart. Her name is Houston Chandler. You already must know where this is going even just knowing their names but at the end of the most scandalous chapter my 16 year old eyes had ever beheld Kane Taggart stands up with pebbles stuck to his backside (imagine!) creating the dimpled look common to sitting on wicker.

The truth is, no matter how cheesy, I have not met a book I didn't like. Except for anything I had to read in high school English. No Mrs. Boch-Parker, I would not like to read this meandering, pointless novel written by a manic depressive feminist. Being on Hitler's blacklist does not make you a good writer...well, unless your Anne Frank because she is amazing. Okay, so maybe I am being too hard on Virginia Woolf but I hated that book and I was pretty sure that my teacher knew I only read half the Spark Notes version.

The only exception to the high school syllabus reading exception is THE EPIC OF GILGAMESH which I don't think counts because watching a classroom full of teenagers look on horrified as the words "scented bush" are read aloud makes me lol even ten years later.

Really, long story short I want to start a book club. Because I am obsessed with books. And I want to talk about them with people. Would anyone want to do it? We could do it online as a Facebook group even?

PLEASE!?

2 comments:

  1. I would be in a book club with you! you know how much i love to read - i love getting recommendations from other people too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be in with you Sara! Books are my friends too!

    ReplyDelete